2022 Flint Hills Stampede - Eureka, KS
« on: October 11, 2021, 04:30:16 PM »
May 20-22, 2022

Eureka, Kansas

2022 Flint Hills Stampede

Adventure Touring In The Flint Hills

• No Registration or Fees
• Lodging is available in Eureka.
• FREE Camping is available at Eureka City Lake in the Phillips Cabin area, and the Cabin will be available with full kitchen and restrooms. The cabin does not have showers, which are available at lake entrance.
• No RV hookups, but there's plenty of parking!

The rally point at the City Park on the south end of Eureka, off of Main Street, with Riders Meeting at 8:30AM and Kickstands Up at 9AM. Coffee, Pastries, and Water will be provided at the Rally Point on May 21 by CMA.

Please bring a completed Ride Waiver, available for download at http://backroadstouring.org/kansas/download/stampedewaiver_22.pdf
There will be four ride formats on May 21, and impromptu rides on May 20 and May 22.
It is recommended that riders review/prepare routes of the region. Patrol ride preference, leadership, and direction will be determined at the rally point early morning May 21.

Ride formats include:
a.) An “advanced” and challenging ride on primarily minimum maintenance roads. Fastest ride pace.
b.) A moderately technical “intermediate” ride on gravel and minimum maintenance roads. Quick ride pace.
c.) A “scenic” ride for both novice and experienced riders. Dirt, gravel and some asphalt roads. This ride can include long sections of open-range riding and numerous scenic stops. Modest ride pace.
d.) Self-guided ride. Bring your maps, GPS, and friends.

* Lodging & camping fees are the responsibility of attendees.

To discuss, please visit:

https://www.backroads.bike/board/index.php/topic,489.0.html
* All motorcycles used must be licensed and tagged for street/highway use.

* Helmet use is a requirement on all ‘Backroads Touring - KANSAS!’ sponsored rides.

* Ranchers appreciate quieter exhaust systems on roads crossing open rangeland. Please ride respectfully!
« Last Edit: April 23, 2022, 12:35:15 PM by Nick Bright »

Offline Roger Baugh

• +8/-0
    • KLX250S, CB750
    • The Beginning, 1996
Re: Mark your calendar ...
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2022, 05:39:05 PM »
The dates and location are set, details are in the works ...
Here's more info .... https://www.bikereg.com/flint-hills-stampede-2022

Let me know if any questions!

Offline jkuntz05

• +0/-0
    • XR650R
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2022, 09:02:58 PM »
We were curious if there were any groups of people staying anywhere?  Half the fun is the people and conversations so we were hoping to find lodging near other riders.  We are good camping or hotel.  Thanks Roger for putting this all together again!

Offline Roger Baugh

• +8/-0
    • KLX250S, CB750
    • The Beginning, 1996
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2022, 11:10:03 AM »
We were curious if there were any groups of people staying anywhere?  Half the fun is the people and conversations so we were hoping to find lodging near other riders.  We are good camping or hotel.  Thanks Roger for putting this all together again!
Thank you! There's the Blue Stem Motel in Eureka. The city lake north of town offers camping. I'm waiting to hear from the city on use of the lodge and surrounding land at the lake for camping and gathering.

Offline Nick Bright

• Server Admin
  • +9/-0
  • The orange Kool-Aid tastes good!
    • KTM 790 ADV-R
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2022, 12:07:05 PM »

I'll be planning on camping out at the City Lake.
KTM 790 Adventure R

Offline HBruce

• +0/-0
    • Triumph Tiger Explorer 1200
Re: 2022 Flint Hills Stampede - Eureka, KS
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2022, 02:08:44 PM »
I am a Kansas native living in NM.  I don't think I can make the Flint Hills Stampede, bu plan on biking in KS the end of May first of June and would like to know the route for that ride so that I can take it at a later day.   thanks.

Offline wadedawg

• +0/-0
    • KTM 1190 Adv. R
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2022, 09:55:18 AM »
I live near Eureka and plan to join in the Stampede ride this year.  I have led routes in the past and would be glad to show you some backroads this area has to offer.  Nothing too technical or to fast.  Looking forward to meeting you. lets ride
KTM 1190 Adv R

Offline Roger Baugh

• +8/-0
    • KLX250S, CB750
    • The Beginning, 1996
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2022, 11:26:24 AM »
I live near Eureka and plan to join in the Stampede ride this year.  I have led routes in the past and would be glad to show you some backroads this area has to offer.  Nothing too technical or to fast.  Looking forward to meeting you. lets ride

That would be great! I don't recognize your "handle" right-off bat. Can you PM your name or post here? Also, how technical a ride are you thinking?

Thanks, Roger

Offline AndyFriesen

• +0/-0
    • 2014 KTM 1190 Adv R
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2022, 04:26:05 PM »
I have recently gotten into dual sport riding, and am really enjoying seeing parts of Kansas that I haven't seen before. I've looked at joining the Stampede the last few years and the timing hasn't worked out, and unfortunately this year we have a family wedding that weekend.

I'd be very interested in see a route map for the different rides and doing a self-guided ride on another date. Is that possible?

Thanks!

-Andy

Offline BigK

• +0/-0
    • 2018 KTM 690
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2022, 07:02:05 PM »
I'm planning on camping at the lake.

Offline jkuntz05

• +0/-0
    • XR650R
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2022, 01:21:54 PM »
We are going to have time to ride Friday and I have been trying to plan some routes.  I am not from the area but have ridden a couple stampedes in the area.  My question is about a few of the roads and whether they are public or private.  Last thing I want to do is make a rancher upset being somewhere I shouldn't and make our group look bad. 

Anyone that is familiar with the area around Teter Rock, 777 Ranch, and north of there, can you look at these gpx roads and give me your opinion?

Any other normal looking roads in the area that may actually be private?  Are there good signs / gates on the private roads so it is obvious?

Thank you.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

Offline will_kc

• Have KLR will travel
  • +1/-0
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2022, 04:23:54 AM »
Hey jkuntz05,
I walked the tracks on Google earth and the only track that looks really iffy is the unknown road.  It looks like the track crosses several fence lines.  I have ridden the jeep roads in that area and they pretty much disappear into nothing but grass and then boom.... a fence/gate. The 338 track crosses several cattle guards... Don't be surprised to find a gate along with the guard.

Attached is a gpx of the route I led last year (scenic).  If the roads are still pretty wet the route section near the coon creek area can get pretty messy... lots of small water crossing in that section. The route section going north from swing creek is very pretty (open range).  Hope this helps.
Bill
« Last Edit: May 14, 2022, 04:34:21 AM by will_kc »
07 KLR 30K and it's still going strong.
20 KLX 230 - The little green machine.

Offline jkuntz05

• +0/-0
    • XR650R
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2022, 12:02:27 PM »
Are we allowed to cross cattle guards?

I have seen in other posts where some people said if a gate is unlocked, it is ok to pass. Just shut the gate behind you. Any idea if this is true?

Offline will_kc

• Have KLR will travel
  • +1/-0
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2022, 04:43:15 PM »
Just because a gate is unlocked does not give you permission to ride on private property.  If a cattle guard is not gated, check for a posted sign.  Remember, you are riding a mapped public road (i.e. it will be numbered like 100/338), so the odds are it's an open road. Ranchers, by law, cannot gate a public road.  As a rancher, nothing pisses me off more that people that give a total disregard to private property and pass through gates that are not chained and locked.

« Last Edit: May 14, 2022, 04:55:20 PM by will_kc »
07 KLR 30K and it's still going strong.
20 KLX 230 - The little green machine.

Offline jkuntz05

• +0/-0
    • XR650R
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2022, 05:47:38 PM »
Thank you for the information and what to look for to tell if it is public or not. That is what I expected as far as gates went but wanted to double check.

Like I said, last thing I want to do is make someone mad accidentally being where I'm not supposed to be.

Looking forward to a good weekend in a beautiful area.