Please help me make the 2020 Flint Hills Stampede

• 4 replies

Offline mgsADV

• MgsADV
  • +0/-0
    • Looking
Please help me make the 2020 Flint Hills Stampede
« on: July 04, 2020, 03:50:49 PM »
Here is where I’m at.  Honestly I’d like to purchase a KTM 390 Adventure or the Yamaha Tenere 700 but I am realistically 6 to 12 months away but would like to make to 2020 Flint Hills Stampede if possible. I have my Kansas Motorcycle endorsement but have mainly been single track trail riding from my youth....now at 50 years old ADV riding is where I am heading and I really didn’t know about this group or forum until recently. I live in Olathe BTW.

Here’s where I need help.  I would like to street license my 2003 Honda XR 250 R in hopes that my son and/or wife could use it once I purchase my next bike.  I am looking for a motorcycle enthusiast/ mechanic to update this bike with tuned wheels, add new rubber, new brakes, fork seals, rear shock build and add the street legal kit and so on.  I have no title as I bought the bike second hand years ago and don’t know if am just being a dreamer. I am looking for honesty on this subject. 

Lastly,  if this is not possible, is there anything like riders share or anyone with loaner bikes to make this happen this year. Eventually, I will have my ADV bike and will look for ways to pay it forward...even letting this XR be used for someone on the fence about ADV riding.  Currently, I am happy just to have found this forum and the FB page and knowing that touring Kansas is possible with like minded people.

Thanks in advance for any post or replies.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2020, 03:54:21 PM by mgsADV »

Offline drjack

• +1/-0
Re: Please help me make the 2020 Flint Hills Stampede
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2020, 10:20:16 PM »
Tim at Motorcare in Lawrence is a very good independent mechanic and can certainly do the work you mention. As for licensing it I have no idea, fairly new to Kansas myself. I would suggest going to the highway patrol inspection station (there's one in Lawrence) or calling them and explaining about your XR and find out if it's possible to title and license it. I would bet it's not but I really don't know. You could always pick up a used dual sport that's already titled for this year's ride, they aren't very expensive. In addition to FB and craigslist check out bikefinds.
Good luck,
Jack
http://motorcaretim.com/
http://www.bikefinds.com/
« Last Edit: July 04, 2020, 10:30:40 PM by drjack »
2016 CB500X
2005 KTM 400EXC

Offline ramkas

• +0/-0
    • WR250R
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2020, 03:20:37 PM »
In my experience there is no way to do this in KS. You need a on road title or a MSO.  The motorcycle must also have the federal conforming decals on it in addition to the correct 17 digit VIN.  It must be inspected by the highway patrol to start the process and they will reject it. Been down that road before.
Your only option would be to explore tagging it in another state but that can bring insurance issues if you ever need to file a claim or someone sues you.

If you want to pursue it then...

Without the title there used to be a way to get a tag from Vermont on 300cc or less bikes older than 15 years.

South Dakota is another option but I think they at least need a title or a MSO.

This all seems kinda crazy when there are quads and now UTVs roaming the roads legally and they have none of these things and were never intended to be on the road.

Here is where I’m at.  Honestly I’d like to purchase a KTM 390 Adventure or the Yamaha Tenere 700 but I am realistically 6 to 12 months away but would like to make to 2020 Flint Hills Stampede if possible. I have my Kansas Motorcycle endorsement but have mainly been single track trail riding from my youth....now at 50 years old ADV riding is where I am heading and I really didn’t know about this group or forum until recently. I live in Olathe BTW.

Here’s where I need help.  I would like to street license my 2003 Honda XR 250 R in hopes that my son and/or wife could use it once I purchase my next bike.  I am looking for a motorcycle enthusiast/ mechanic to update this bike with tuned wheels, add new rubber, new brakes, fork seals, rear shock build and add the street legal kit and so on.  I have no title as I bought the bike second hand years ago and don’t know if am just being a dreamer. I am looking for honesty on this subject. 

Lastly,  if this is not possible, is there anything like riders share or anyone with loaner bikes to make this happen this year. Eventually, I will have my ADV bike and will look for ways to pay it forward...even letting this XR be used for someone on the fence about ADV riding.  Currently, I am happy just to have found this forum and the FB page and knowing that touring Kansas is possible with like minded people.

Thanks in advance for any post or replies.
2008 Wr250r

Offline mgsADV

• MgsADV
  • +0/-0
    • Looking
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2020, 06:06:06 PM »
Well I’m afraid ramkas is correct.  After some research and a few calls....I think there is .001 chance of registering this bike in Kansas for street use.  I only have bill of sale and no original title or MSO.  On a positive note...I’ve had the bike for a long time and nobody seems to be looking for it.  Haha.  I have decided also to never buy a bike without proper paperwork...even if it’s only a dirt bike.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2020, 06:08:03 PM by mgsADV »

Offline Nick Bright

• Server Admin
  • +9/-0
  • The orange Kool-Aid tastes good!
    • KTM 790 ADV-R
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2020, 03:33:06 PM »
You could probably pick up one of the Chinese 250cc bikes off of Amazon for what you'd have paid to get all that work done, could be a stop gap until you can step up to what you want.
KTM 790 Adventure R