5th of May Gateway to Flint Hills

• 7 replies

Offline asis

• +4/-0
    • 18' KLX 250
5th of May Gateway to Flint Hills
« on: May 05, 2018, 09:51:32 PM »
As I hoped to deliver and my request was granted by the Allmighty, I don't know of a better weather day in Kansas.
I planned for a solo ride maybe a few others near by. The response and turnout was just fabtabulous. I can't thank everyone enough for giving me the pleasure of meeting, riding and knowing you.

For not having a meeting place for this many to sign in etc. and taking waivers at two locations, I am quite impressed that I have 12 waivers, one contains contact for 3 riders so out of the 17 we only have two I may have missed or they were getting gas or.......

In Attendance -2:
Burt Peterson,DR650, Garnett Ks: Derek Smith 990A Wichita Ks: Sam Key XR/L Caney Ks?: Don Dilley Basehor Ks.:Marc Browning,DL650,Wichita Ks.:Jerry Valdez, XT600. Cicliville Ks.: Dane Hicks, DR650, Garnett Ks: Keith Janesko, KLR650 Overland Park Ks: Dow Butts, KLR650, Alma Ks: Keneth Ertz,KTM450exc, Tecumseh Ks.Jon Chappel,BMWG310GS, Hutchison Ks: Chag Hicks, KLR650, Hutchison Ks:
Phil Denk, KLR650, Kansas City Mo: Greg Mitchell,KTM 950 Adv Beast, Emporia Ks.
Those are the waivers I have, I think I am missing Alex from KC on his Kaway 300, and Benson who joined us at lunch on his KLR 650 and is now enjoying the crickets at Reading Lake! Numbers say I am missing one if anyone can fill in the last would be great.

Four trailered or trucked into Emporia with 5 bikes. Greg and Phil met us there. Had intros and all then headed for Olpe. Arrived in Olpe around 9 where we found 10 others for a total group of 17. Rounded up the kickstands just after 9:30 and headed west then south to the Verdegris River Valley. I opted out of the deep water crossing over the North fork mainly due to the size of the group and I have not done it on two wheels. Took the low water bridge over the North fork up over the ridge and down to the South fork. Back west to the oil fields and up to what I call, "If my house were here I could see Russia".
Then west through oil fields/pasture which was my favorite part of the ride, and I think many even the old timers and well traveled have not seen and across the head of the North fork of the Verdegris.
Back on route to Teeter Rock on township Rd 50 we have the traditional stop and photo shoot at Teeterville. Re track to Texico Hill and take Madison Road to the Chase Co line the North to Camp Creek. This is where I got froggy and thought just because I can, I am going up the side of Texico Hill. It was right before the Y in the road and I hope if any didn't want to follow, they would see we were just here and stay on the road. Not sure who all took it but when I got to the top there was a gent out taking photos and he seemed a bit in awe. I think some must have stopped to chat with the guy cuz that was one hiccup. Regrouped and pushed on.
We encountered some bicyclist on Madison Rd and before we got to Camp Creek Rd had a bit of separation. I "think" my sweep is such a kind heart that he stopped to help a fellow two wheeler out with a blown tire. God Bless that man!
The crossing at Camp creek is where it Merges with the North fork of the Vedegris. After crossing Camp Creek north through Nation Ranch to Bazaar Cattle pens where we encountered a closed gate....Closer look and it is just hooked, make sure we get it closed, (Thanks Phil ;)) and continue on North to Hwy 50 across the Cottonwood River, and on to Americus for lunch at Rolling HIlls Bar and Grill.
They looked to be about half full but did have plenty of seating for us even if not organized. Tables seemed to get served as a group so food was a bit slow coming but with now 18 of us as Benson joined us...the food I hope was great, I heard no complaints.

Marc and Derek split off as they had a long ride home still.

We left Americus heading west to Dunlap, where Dow peeled off to go home to Alma, crossed the Neosho River 3 times, then back south to a Rd north of Kahola Lake Greg calls the roller coaster, back around to Kahola Lake to see the Bald Eagles and around the lake back south across the damn.
Zig Zag back to Saffordville back to a lil stretch of Min Maint,.Rd. I just love to get crazy on. Meander back to Emporia and disperse after some well shared thanks and..........well ;)

« Last Edit: May 05, 2018, 09:59:03 PM by asis »
05' KLR 650
18' KLX 250

Offline Dow

• +0/-0
    • KLR650
Re: 5th of May Gateway to Flint Hills
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2018, 10:15:07 PM »
Did anyone get any pictures of going up the hill. At first I wasn’t sure but after seeing several others make it I went for it no problem.  Had a good time. Will be joining in more of these events.

Offline Woody469

• David Woodward
  • +9/-0
  • Let's go make some dust!!
    • 2021 Honda CRF1100L Africa Twin
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2018, 10:17:29 PM »
Great ride report Scott! Thanks for sharing and it sounds like everything went off pretty much as expected so hats off to you for that! Great turnout.....
2021 Honda CRF1100L Africa Twin (Backroad Brawler)
2003 Honda 919 (The N8ked Hot Rod)

Offline asis

• +4/-0
    • 18' KLX 250
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2018, 10:29:22 PM »
Did anyone get any pictures of going up the hill. At first I wasn’t sure but after seeing several others make it I went for it no problem.  Had a good time. Will be joining in more of these events.

I sure as hell hope so cuz that was a spasm and cool as hell!
05' KLR 650
18' KLX 250

Offline Phil Denk

• +1/-0
  • I can strip the threads on a jar of peanut butter
    • KLR / KTM
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2018, 10:09:01 AM »

No flats, no injuries, only one temporarily lost sweep rider. A great time was had by all..................................Thanx Scott

Offline asis

• +4/-0
    • 18' KLX 250
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2018, 08:51:59 PM »
I would like to give some nods for making this ride happen. Greg Mitchel who was the first to contact me and break me in on these roads on my KLR. Glenn K. as well sorry he didn't make it today. Phil Denk, was great to have these two cleaning up the trail. I had complete faith all I had to do was know where I was going...which....what is a GPS again?

Marc and Derek for riding mid pack acting as second lead. That was huge in my confidence when I had 5 bikes in my mirrors sometimes, and 17 other times...I knew all were in good hands till we could all regroup.

Second time winging with Keith Janesko, he had my back this time. Love riding with this man as much as Kevin Boyce. Nice to have them in a tight formation no matter the trail.

Burt, Dane, Thanks for making it and trust me, we did not even scratch the surface of this area on this ride.

Sam Keys who I was afraid is far enough away I might never get to ride with him, you my friend get the FFA boot award for the farthest traveled.

Was so cool to meet Benson just out running roads until it got dark enough to camp wherever that might be. My pleasure to meet you  and can't wait till next time, and so happy my mention of a spot landed you with yet another memory.

Alex who has likely trekked more miles than me in his infancy of this sport, but seems to show up and make it no matter what.

Thanks to all for making this a special memory and event.

« Last Edit: May 06, 2018, 09:01:22 PM by asis »
05' KLR 650
18' KLX 250

Offline hbadventure

• +6/-1
    • Suzuki DR 650
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2018, 09:44:03 AM »
It was a great time, looking forward to doing it again. I sure do hope this whole group comes to Garnett in a couple weeks they were great guys and rode well. That kind of group is important over here! We have these crazy things called trees. Thanks Scott! I love the boot award you are a splendid host!
There is absolutely no excuse for what I am about to do.

Offline Chapped

• +0/-0
    • cb500x Rally Raid
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2018, 03:56:30 PM »
It was a fun route, wish I had stopped and gotten a few pics at the water crossings. Great to meet you Scott and thanks again.